Finding the right contractor for your roofing project is easier said than done. A simple Google search for “best roofing companies near me” can bring up hundreds of results. You can narrow your search by using a contractor review site to look through local reviews and recommendations.
It’s important to read customer reviews and testimonials before choosing your contractor. Reputable roofers are more than happy to make their customer testimonials easy to find online. Some review sites even allow contractors to post examples of their previous work.
If you notice a contractor has bad reviews, it's probably best to take your business elsewhere. Roofing is a highly skilled job, so it’s important to do your research to ensure you’re choosing a contractor who is experienced, reliable, and trustworthy.
We know that combing through hundreds of contractor reviews can be overwhelming. That’s why we came up with this list of the top three review sites you can use to find the best contractor for your roof repair or replacement. If you’re ready to start your search, let’s dive in.
- Angi reviews come from real homeowners, just like you. Contractors can’t pay to receive a rating on Angi, nor can they rate themselves. They also can’t remove their names from Angi if they have low reviews. Members and other users submit reviews and rate the service they received with stars on a 1 – 5 scale.
- In a search for roof replacement contractors in a Raleigh-area ZIP code, multiple companies turned up with hundreds of reviews. With that many available reviews, you can trust highly-rated companies to be credible options for your roofing project.
- Angi invites contractors to go through a screening process to become “Certified Businesses.” These businesses are allowed to advertise discounts to Angi members. They show up first in search results when the default search option "with coupons" is used.
- “Certified Businesses” are listed above businesses that have been background checked, even if “Background Checked Businesses'' have a higher rating. However, Angi does offer ways for you to filter the search results based on your own personal criteria.
- Houzz offers a huge photo archive of home interiors, exteriors, and design materials to help you get inspired for your own project. It lets you search for design pros and contractors, alongside all the materials, appliances, and fixtures needed to get your project done.
- You can search photos according to your personal style, budget, or other criteria. You can then add the pictures you like to your ideabook and share them with your contractor.
- Contractors who pay to advertise can buy a prominent spot on the Houzz search results page. They are guaranteed exposure and higher placement in their particular target geographic area.
- In fact, "sponsored" listings with no user reviews or star ratings can rank higher than top-rated professionals who didn't advertise. Paid results are marked "sponsored," but in light gray writing that's easy to miss.
- Contractors join Porch and create a profile featuring their contact information, project history, photos, services offered and company description. When a homeowner searches for a contractor, Porch displays professionals who have worked in their neighborhood, professionals with endorsements, and professionals who have worked on similar projects.
- Porch offers descriptions and photos of roughly 138 million home projects. Homeowners can use these photos to gauge their budget and browse lower-cost alternatives, such as a roof repair instead of a full replacement.
- Homeowners can endorse contractors to indicate if they had a positive experience working with them. If a contractor is highly endorsed, you can have peace of mind choosing them for your project.
- Contractors can pay for a Porch Plus profile subscription that gives them added visibility, an enhanced profile, and project / profile support. If they want even more visibility, they can pay for a premium profile subscription that gives them additional exposure for zip code searches in their area.
- Contractors who pay for these enhanced profiles will come up first in your search for the right contractor on Porch.
How Else Can You Find a Great Contractor?
Now that you know what review sites you can use to search for a great roofing contractor, you’re probably wondering what other steps you can take to find a contractor that does the quality of work you’ve been looking for.
We always recommend asking your friends, family, and other people you trust for local recommendations! This will allow you to ask questions about a contractor’s reputation and even verify the quality of their work in person. Read this article to learn more ways you can find a great local roofer.
If you live in the Raleigh area and need help with your roof, consider us! On average, we work with over 900 homeowners a year who are looking for a high-quality roofing experience, just like you. If you want a free estimate, inspection, or to see examples of our work, don’t hesitate to fill out the form below. We're happy to help.